While the aging process is part of life, with new technology and cutting edge surgery procedures, plastic surgeons are now able to correct some of the most stubborn problems that we face from aging. Here are some plastic surgery procedures that can solve common facial problems to give you a more youthful appearance.
Tear Trough Surgery
Tear trough implants can be the answer to under-eye bags and droopy cheeks caused by tear trough deformities. Your tear troughs are the hollow groove under the eyes that divide the lower eyelid from the cheek. Tear trough deformities are mainly caused by insufficient, bony tissue in the undereye area and can be a result of genetics and aging. Therefore, tear trough implants simulate your natural bone structure to provide a natural look and feel. These implants fill the hollow groove, which can give you the following results:
- A healthier look.
- A younger appearance.
- A fuller upper cheek giving you a happier appearance when the face is resting.
Reasons to Consider Tear Trough Implants
Tear trough implants may be a better option for some patients who may not see the best results from fillers. Here are some pros to having tear trough surgery:
- Tear trough implants can correct the most difficult tear trough problems as opposed to soft tissue fillers.
- Tear trough implants are permanent and stable over time. Some fat injections can be challenging to predict if they will “take” and are not a finite solution.
- Tear trough implants can be removed should you want to return to your previous appearance. Fat injections (if they “take” are only minimally reversible and with much greater difficulty and less predictability.)
- Tear trough implants will not “bunch-up” when smiling. Soft tissue fillers may cause “bunching,” especially when a significant amount is needed.
- Tear trough implants look natural and are not visible.
- Tear trough implants do not leave visible scarring since the incision is made on the backside of the eyelid.
- Tear trough implants do not pose a risk of arterial embolization. While it’s a rare complication of injections, arterial embolization is serious and can cause blindness, stroke, as well as damage to the skin and other tissues in the face.
- Tear trough implant surgery is cost-effective and is about the same as fillers. Although the cost of fillers such as Restylane varies, it can typically cost about $1,200 and needs upkeep every few years. Restylane and other similar fillers are recommended for mild cases of tear troughs.
Temple implant surgery can fill hollow temples caused by aging. Hollow temples can give an aged, skeletal, and unhealthy appearance. Temple implants can correct the shrinking of the upper face and exaggerated appearance of a sagging lower face.
Reasons to Consider Temple Implants
While fillers are also an option to correct hollow temples, temple implants offer a more permanent solution. Here are some advantages to temple implant surgery:
- Temple implants look natural and are essentially impossible to detect by visual or touch examination. However, you will see the results by comparing before and after pictures.
- Temple implants are a cost-effective alternative to injectable fillers. Filler treatments can cost more than $2,000 and must be repeated approximately once per year. A temple implant costs about $4,500 and is permanent.
- Temple implant surgery does not cause bruising and is done under local anesthesia.
- Temple implants do not leave visible scars. Typically a scar is only ½ inch long and is hidden behind the hair.
- Temple implant surgery does not pose a risk of arterial embolization. ( risks noted above in tear trough surgery).
- Temple implants are removable if a patient wants to return to their previous appearance.
Facelifts can improve the overall appearance of the face and neck. There are many types of facelift procedures to consider, and the type of facelift you will need depends on what areas you are looking to correct.
Reasons to Consider a Facelift:
While you will need to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon on which facelift procedure will be best for you, facelift surgery can correct a multitude of stubborn problems that come with aging. Some benefits to facelift surgery include:
- Improve muscle tone and skin elasticity.
- Reverse the look of a tired appearance.
- Correct sagging skin on the neck.
- Decrease folds and creases, including “marionette lines” and “smile lines.”
- Add definition to the jawline.
Common Types of Facelift Surgery
The following procedures can correct these common signs of aging:
- Blepharoplasty, also know as an eyelid lift, is a common procedure used to correct aging around the eyes. Depending on the problem, surgery can be performed on the upper or lower eyelid; and in some cases, both.
- Browlifts can offer a more youthful appearance by tightening the skin on the forehead as well as opening up the eyes.
- Neck lifts can reduce excess skin and minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. A neck lift can also help with contouring of the chin and jawline.
Increase your confidence and feel beautiful! Learn more about which plastic surgery procedures may be right for you. Contact our Austin plastic surgeon today at 512-481-7088 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Louis William Apostolakis.