WHAT IS RHINOPLASTY?
Rhinoplasty, often referred to as a nose job, is a surgical procedure used to improve the appearance of the nose — and in some cases, can also be used for correcting nasal breathing problems. If you are considering rhinoplasty for either reason, here’s what you should know.
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM RHINOPLASTY?
The right candidate for rhinoplasty surgery may have the intention to correct the following common problems associated with the appearance or function of the nose:
- A nose that is too wide or narrow that is out of balance with the face.
- The shape of the nose that is unflattering to the face.
- A flat, bulbous, or pointy tip of the nose
- An uneven nasal bridge.
- A profile and angle of the nose that is unbalanced.
- Nostrils that are too wide or too narrow and unproportioned to the rest of the nose.
- A deviated septum that causes breathing problems.
HOW TO DETERMINE IF YOU ARE A GOOD CANDIDATE
If you have any of the problems mentioned above with your nose, a good candidate must be in good health before undergoing rhinoplasty surgery. Rhinoplasty surgery may not be right for you if you have the following health issues:
- High blood pressure
- Bleeding disorders
- Heart disease
Your plastic surgeon will give you a full evaluation and will ask all the right questions to determine if you meet the requirements of a candidate for rhinoplasty surgery. Be sure to mention to your plastic surgeon any health problems that you have.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR RHINOPLASTY SURGERY
When committing to having rhinoplasty surgery, being prepared for the following is key:
The Initial Consultation
One of the most critical steps in preparation for rhinoplasty surgery is your first consultation with your plastic surgeon. Your consultation will help determine if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty.
Your plastic surgeon will go over all details from understanding the results you are looking for, your beauty goals, and any health problems or concerns that you have.
They will also review any current medications you are taking, as certain medications can cause complications with surgery. Before having any type of plastic surgery, including rhinoplasty, it’s critical to disclose if you are taking any of the following:
- Prescription drugs
- Vitamin and mineral supplements
- Herb supplements
- Anti-inflammatory or any other type of drugs
Make Travel Arrangement for Post-Surgery
Before you head home after surgery, having transportation arrangements already in place will be extremely helpful. You will not be able to drive yourself home.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER RHINOPLASTY SURGERY
There’s no doubt that you will be excited to see the final results after your rhinoplasty surgery is complete. Your plastic surgeon will advise you on how to care for your nose, but here’s what you can expect during the healing process, as well as some essential care tips:
You may think that after rhinoplasty surgery, you will feel a significant amount of pain — but it’s not as painful as many people believe. In fact, many patients report that they don’t feel much pain at all. While you may need to take medication on the first night after surgery, here’s what else you can expect:
- Your nose will be taped and splinted for one week.
- Typically, bruises last between 7 to 14 days and usually occurs under the eyes.
- Dr. Apostolakis does not use packing in the nose. The internal structure of your nose will be sutured together. This will eliminate the pain associated with packing and its removal.
- After surgery, you will be able to breathe through your nose.
Caring For Your Healing Nose
Eating a healthy diet after surgery can help improve and speed up the healing process. The best food choices are soft fruits and vegetables. It’s also beneficial to choose foods that are protein-rich such as eggs and fish. Keep hydrated and drink lots of water too. When unsure about diet and the foods you should avoid, contact your plastic surgeon for guidance.
When caring for your nose after surgery, here are some other things to keep in mind:
- Avoid participating in strenuous activities and exercise
- Take baths instead of showers until all bandages on your nose are removed
- Refrain from blowing your nose
- Avoid making extreme facial expressions such as smiling or laughing
- Wear front fastening shirts to avoid pulling clothing over your head.
HAVING A FACIAL PLASTIC SURGEON CAN MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE
Most plastic surgeons are certified to perform procedures on all parts of the face and body. However, having a plastic surgeon that specializes in facial plastic surgery can be critical to achieving your beauty expectations. Choosing an experienced plastic facial surgeon to help you enhance your appearance not only ensures you are in good hands, but you’ll also be happy with the outcome.
CONTACT DR. APOSTOLAKIS TODAY
Increase your confidence and feel beautiful! Learn more about rhinoplasty and other plastic surgery procedures that may be right for you. Contact our Austin plastic surgeon today at 512-329-8989 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Louis William Apostolakis.